A seasoned professional with 25 years’ experience in retail across 2 countries. I have the unique experience of working my way through the field, starting as a sales person and moving up through the ranks to a CEO role. My specialty has been in assisted selling retail with emphasis on service, both in store and in home.
I have had the opportunity of working with established retailers like Circuit City and Reliance Digital in building a retail organization spanning across verticals. I have been able to learn and adapt to various functions of retail including Operations, Marketing, Merchandising, D & L, Category Management as well as Communication.
• Decisive, motivating, creative, strategic, innovative, consensus-building, and broadly experienced.
• Proven ability to build and motivate strong management teams, grow or turn-around companies, and increase revenue and profit.
• Exceptionally creative in crafting strategy, solutions and business development opportunities.
• Experience of building a business from scratch and rapidly scaling up across geographies
• Willing to make fast, tough decisions. Oriented to building long-term enterprise value.
• Adaptable and flexible.
August 2010 ~ present CEO – Reliance Digital Retail Limited Mumbai, India
Reliance Digital is the largest electronics and appliance retailer in India, with over 1,900 operational retail outlets. Reliance Digital has stores operational in over 600 cities with 30+ Distribution Centers.
• Transformed the business from annual revenue of Rs 350 cr in 2011 to Rs 6,000 cr in 2016 delivering a 16x growth
• Built & scaled up the business from around 20 outlets to its current size of 1,900 outlets
o Grew digital business from 20 to 270 stores. Remodeled & redesigned the stores into a new customer experience driven format
o Conceptualized & built mini stores from scratch to 1,650 stores catering to mobile handset sales & Jio operations
o Transformed Reliance Digital into a profitable business with double the nearest competition on all relevant KPIs
• Started Reliance resQ, the full service arm of Reliance Digital has over 60 service centers covering 100+ cities. resQ sells extended warranties, becoming brand authorized for most brands, and building a network of 2000 engineers
• Established a private label sourcing office in China in 2013 and established the brand under the name “Reconnect”
• Developed a Customer Call Center from scratch to manage & handle centralized customer queries. This is resulted in good improvement in customer satisfaction
• Developed training and certification program to grow internal talent as well as bring new talent to the organization. Result was bringing turnover to less than 35%, best in India among other electronic retailers
• Awarded “Best Electronic retailer – India” in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. The only retailer to be rated among the 50 top service brands in India. Over 4 million fans on Facebook.
May 2009 ~ May 2010 Vice President – Big Lots Store Inc. USA
Accountable for the profitable operation of a nine state, 240 store region with annual sales in excess of $1Billion. Recruited and developed a team of 3 regional team members and 19 district managers. Focused on driving overall business profitability including sales, gross margin and net operating profit.
Inherited the #5 (out of 6) performing region in sales and gross margin and grew it to #2 region in the company over a six month period. Recruited key talent in regional and district roles to strengthen leadership team. Developed and introduced field visit templates for companywide usage
Established a program for developing a group of high potential store manager candidates for internal promotion, now a current companywide process at Big Lots.
June 2007 ~ Jan 2009 Vice President (Sales & Merchandise) – Circuit City USA
Worked closely with Merchants, Marketing, Operations, Human Resources and Retail Leadership teams to convert all strategies into one cohesive plan to enable retail execution. Responsible for a team of 5 Directors that established sales techniques and communication for field operations on critical direction.
Established enterprise wide strategy for 712 store $12 Billion electronics chain. Developed chain-wide communication rhythms which drove critical sales period strategies. Designed “Home Entertainment Simple to Shop” initiative requiring cross-functional partnership with Merchants, Human Resources, Store Environments and Retail. Designed store layout, assembled a selling plan and compensation model that produced a $13 million increase in gross margin dollars in the first 90 days.
Nov 2005 ~ June 2007 Regional Vice President – Circuit City USA
Accountable for the profitable operation of a five state, 91 store region with revenue in excess of $1.6 billion. Recruited and developed a team of 3 regional team members, 9 district managers and 30 district support team members. Focused on driving overall business profitability including sales, gross margin and net operating profit.
Inherited the #10 performing Region in sales and gross margin and grew it to #1 Region in the company over a six month period. Increased revenue from $1.1 billion in sales to $1.6 billion over a 12 month period.
Partnered with headquarters and created a new personal computer rebate program that resulted in an enhanced customer experience. Enterprise gross margin improved 60% year over year as a result.
Apr 2005 ~ Nov 2005 Regional Business Development Manager – Circuit City USA
Recognized and developed region capability around growing the services business, developed a strategy centered on new businesses for 60 stores in excess of $1 billion in revenue. Home Theater installation sales improved from last to first in the company rankings. Helped pioneer “Customer Experience Champion” process, business acumen modules, and strategic sales period programs – all were scaled across the enterprise.
Nov 1991 ~ March 2005 District Manager – Circuit City USA
Accountable for all aspects of retail operations in 13 locations with annual revenue of $160 million. The responsibilities included: achievement of top line metrics, merchandising and inventory management, customer service standards, performance management and financial management.
Improved the Minneapolis district from last in the company to a top five performer out of 60 Districts in the organization. Increased annual sales run rate from $80 million to $120 million in 2 years.
Achieved “Leader of Distinction” award for each of the years 2003, 2004, and 2005.Recognized as “District manager of the Year” for 2004
1985-89 Attended the University of Kansas
2005 Formal executive training from Darden school of Business including personal executive coach